Conor McGregor charged with assault following UFC backstage melee in New York
Conor McGregor has been charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief following a rampage at a UFC press event in Brooklyn
Conor McGregor has been charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief following a rampage at a UFC press event in Brooklyn on Thursday, the New York Police Department has said.
The 29-year-old turned himself in to police on Thursday evening after the violent incident, and the New York police department has now confirmed the charges.
“He’s been charged with assault, three counts of assault, and one count of criminal mischief,” Thomas Antonetti of the NYPD told Reuters. “He’s still in custody, still at the police precinct until he’s removed to court this morning.”
As the UFC held a media day on Thursday ahead of the upcoming fight card at the Barclays Center on Saturday, McGregor and his entourage entered through a side entrance and attacked a van containing other fighters.
Video of the fracas circulated on social media showed objects being thrown at the van, and a number of people were injured by glass fragments as windows were smashed. One video published by TMZ appears to show McGregor throwing a hand truck at a bus full of fighters.
Other footage showed McGregor with a group of people causing chaos as they took an elevator to the loading dock at Barclays Center. He can be seen tossing trash cans and being prevented from throwing a barricade during his unannounced appearance in New York.
UFC has also confirmed three fights on Saturday’s UFC 223 card have been scrapped as a result of the incident. “The organization deems today’s disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow,” UFC said in a statement. “Individuals involved in the incident are not welcome at tomorrow’s ceremonial weigh-in or Saturday’s event at Barclays Center.”
Dana White, the president of UFC, has said that the van attack was “the most disgusting thing that ever happened in the history” of the organisation. White stripped McGregor of the 155lb championship belt this week, leading the Irishman to tweet, “you’ll strip me of nothing.”
McGregor, who claims to have made $140m from his boxing match with Floyd Mayweather last August, has not fought in the Octagon since the win over Eddie Alvarez in November 2016, when he became the first UFC fighter to hold two world titles simultaneously.
Earlier this week, the UFC 223 fighter Artem Lobov, thought to be a close friend of McGregor’s, was involved in a hotel scuffle with Khabib Nurmagomedov. Lobov was removed from Saturday’s card, while Nurmagomedov will fight Max Holloway for the lightweight championship left vacant by McGregor.
Michael Chiesa was admitted to hospital with injuries sustained in the attack and was forced out of his scheduled fight against Anthony Pettis.